Tuesday, March 27, 2012

My new favorite word

We have been studying Romanian for about a month now and we are starting to get into "more complicated" things like putting the word "the" in front of a noun, which, it turns out, does not go in front of the noun as its own separate word. Instead, a few extra letters get added on to the end of the noun and they vary depending on whether the noun is masculine, feminine or neuter or whether it's one of the {many} indiscernible exceptions.


Therefore, "lalelele" is not a toddler's attempt at singing a song, it means "the tulips" and is my favorite word...what can I say? I like how it rolls of my tongue.

"Lale" = Tulip
"Lalele" = Tulips
"Lalelele" = The Tulips
Bam.


Lalele Rosii (pink tulips)
Lalelele from a tulip festival in Holland, MI

Aerial view of a tulip farm in Holland


I even found a video about "lalelele" in Romania.

No comments:

Post a Comment