Monday, February 4, 2013

Culinary & Creative Projects: an Update

Blackberry + Basil + Goat Cheese | Hand Pies

A few months ago I posted about how I intended to occupy myself in my spare time here in Moldova, especially through the winter months. It turns out it mostly involved reading, pinning, learning how to be a better photographer, making food & volunteering at various non-profits.

Reading: not doing so well in this department. Don't think I've finished a book in a while although I started a handful. I'm about half way through Ethnic America by Thomas Sowell. I love that guy. If I don't finish it by the end of the week it'll make it's way onto my carry-on.

Pinning: doing this to an extent that makes me question my own sanity. Some people visit museums to see beautiful works of art...I go to Pinterest...it's pretty much the same thing, just a lazier version, right?



Learning how to be a better photographer: hmmm...it depends on how one defines "learning", because I have completed about a fourth of that online class but don't feel like much of it is sinking in. Does it count as "improving my photography skills" if I just download apps on my tablet that do most of the dirty work for me?

Culinary Projects: I have actually done quite a bit of this, although there are still plenty of things on my list I would like to try: Ice Cream/Frozen Yogurts, Marshmallows {Take II: this time using a candy thermometer which, turns out, is rather crucial}, savory crackers, canning, I would like to get better at making Pizza crust, I got a great pie recipe from Smitten Kitchen, but I would like to make my pies look prettier, expand my bread repertoire, and I still need to try making good puff pastry. **Also, I need to get better at documenting my culinary projects, but that involves making these things during precious daylight hours and having the cooperation of the weather to provide me lovely natural light, which turns out is pretty hard to come by here in the winter months. Who knew it would be so gloomy here?

Chocolate + Banana + Dulce de Leche Frosting

Volunteering: this has been a little more sporadic than I would like {although this will hopefully change soon}, but it does allows me the flexibility to do things like decide to hop on a plane to America mid-winter to help my friend with her new restaurant for a few weeks or help friends move to a new apartment across town.

Well, I'll be absent from the blogging world for the rest of the month...so don't miss me too much!

2 comments:

  1. great 2 blogs...
    have a great trip stephanie...I think your photos of food are mouth watering. app or no app. it's all in the framing and the subject. and that's all bird.

    ReplyDelete