Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Steak & Mashed Potatoes Sandwich: Leftovers, revisited.


I don't want to give too much credit to my Dad for this one, but I have to admit that perhaps some of the inspiration for this sandwich came from his crazy ideas about what to do with leftovers that I remember from my childhood. Whenever it was his turn to make a meal for us kids, it was usually one of two things: A rotisserie chicken that he would pick up from a take-out joint or scrambled eggs with every leftover he could find in the fridge. That was about it.
Hence, the other day when I was scrambling to make dinner, what I came up with was a {glorious} sandwich that involved a few leftovers from our previous dinner, grilled flank steak & asiago mashed potatoes, reinvented into a different form.

Asiago Mashed Potatoes

1 1/2 lbs. potatoes {of the firmer variety}
1 small onion, diced
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
2 oz butter
1/4 cup milk
2 oz shredded asiago cheese
2 T fresh herbs {I used rosemary & parsley}
salt
pepper

Cut & boil the potatoes {I left my skins on}. Saute the onion, garlic, salt, pepper & butter until translucent on low heat. Add milk {slowly}. Set Aside.

Once the potatoes are cooked, drain them and return them to the pot. Add onion mixture, cheese & herbs and mash them.
Serve hot.




I was introduced to this Tomato Relish by my friends at Blackberry Market...


Steak & Mashed Potatoes Sandwich

Sliced good bread
Steak, sliced thin
Horseradish Cream Sauce
Tomato Relish
Sharp White Cheddar
Asiago Mashed Potatoes

I think we all know how to make a sandwich, right? Take two thick slices of bread, spread on reasonable amounts of mashed potatoes, horseradish cream sauce & tomato relish, layer enough slices of sharp cheddar & steak, stick it in a panini press {or a stove-top skillet} for a few minutes and enjoy!




1 comment:

  1. It has mashed potato and meat on it? Now, that’s some heavy sandwich! That’s a perfect meal to carry with you when you’re running late and on the way out. I’m sure a lot of people out there would love to try it themselves at home. Thanks for sharing the recipe and procedure!

    Mae Tyler @ St. Andrew Poultry

    ReplyDelete