Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Flag Day

Flag Day is officially three days away {!} and I'm tempted to say something like "the tension is killing me" but the truth is I have had no time to even think about being tense, much less write about it, really, so instead of actually writing anything I will just inform you about some interesting facts I discovered about flags {thank you Wikipedia}:

"A flag is a piece of fabric with a distinctive design that is usually rectangular and used as a symbol, as a signaling device or decoration. The first flags were used to assist military coordination on battlefields...the study of flags is known as vexillology, from the Latin vexillum meaning flag or banner."


My sister is flying in for our big day, which should be fun. She has never been to DC before {that I can remember anyway} and among the things she would like to do while here is go to a bike polo game, which will be interesting to watch since I have never seen one and she plays all the time. She would also like to walk to this game from my house, "a mere 7 miles..."with my dog...probably opting for swimming across the Potomac instead of having to use any bridges. On Saturday we were planning on finding a restaurant from the country to where we'll be sent, so that could prove to be a challenging, but entertaining endeavor.

I coincidentally discovered this past week that Brooke Fraser {a singer I have become a fan of in the past year or two} put out an album called "Flags" so I immediately downloaded the track with the same name as the album title and have been enjoying it ever since. This is what she writes about her album:

"I was traversing these incredible landscapes and wondering at all the people who had worked this land and what their lives were like, how they had come to arrive in and then leave these places. One day this image of a flag popped into my mind and I thought, 'Our lives are like flags - flying for a short while, a stake in the ground, marking our territory...We fly our colors - our history, belief system, culture, identity - but eventually our flag will wear out and return to the ground and someone else's flag will replace our own.'"

That's all for now...stay tuned for exciting news about our whereabouts for the next few years...


No comments:

Post a Comment